Last week was a tough week. We had a bazillion little things go wrong, but in the end, it was amazing to see how God worked it all for good. Belle had to go to Medpoint late one night, and before she headed out the door, Whitney handed her her most treasured Silly Band-the Angel. The next day I went to the Hallmark store and bought Whit a full pack of Harry Potter Silly Bandz to show her how you can never out-give God. After I gave them to her, Whit went in to check on Belle who was sleeping on my bed, surrounded in her own pile of Silly Bandz. Whitney gave her a kiss and put a quarter next to her. Basically, it was an all-out love fest. I wrote a quick Facebook/Twitter status update saying, Whit gave Belle her angel silly band last night when she was so sick. I bought Whit a whole pack to show her how u can never out give God.
A lot of you wonderful people praised my awesomeness as a Mom for this. I replied, Yes, but I rarely tweet about what I do wrong as a parent. Really, who would want to blog, Twitter or Facebook what they’ve done wrong? Who would want to admit that they’ve made parenting mistakes?
So, I decided to share some mistakes with you. Here are ten things I’ve done that I’m not proud of, but hope you and I can both learn from.
- Rushing Bedtime and shushing the quietest thoughts of their day.
- Being scatter-brained and disorganized-causing myself to forget their important stuff-causing them sadness at missing out.
- Letting someone else tell me what’s best for my child and going against my gut.
- Allowing my displeasure at their bad behavior spiral out of control until I lash out at them with angry, not correcting words.
- Letting the girls watch too much junk TV and eat too much junk food because I am too tired to offer a creative solution.
- Failing to do a complete background check on people I trusted them with for a week.
- Saying No to something simply because it’s easier than saying Yes.
- Sharing information about them with others without asking the girls first.
- Hiding my chocolate
- Being seen out in public with Belle’s Barbie glasses.
Really, I hope this list is helpful. I am a pastor’s wife, a mom, and I have done things wrong. It is my hope that we can build each other up as parents instead of tearing each other down. We really can learn so much from one another.
Your turn! Any mistakes you’d like to share? How about sharing your biggest victory as a parent?