Passionate Princess.

One of our daughters, who shall remain nameless lest you should think less of her in any way, has a very, very bad temper.  I have never had a temper.  Things and people bother me from time to time, but I don’t often lose my cool.  I never really have had that problem.  This sweet child of mine feels EVERYTHING to the fullest emotive potential there is.  When it is a positive emotion, words cannot express how much I want to hug her, and squeeze her to death.  She says the sweetest things to me…not just brown-nose kind of stuff, but really authentic, genuine passionate love for her Mommy.  She loves Jesus the same way.  She loves her sisters and her Dad that way as well.  Her best friends are her best, best, best friends.  Her enemies are “the worst people ever.”

When she gets hurt, like when she got her head slammed in the door by her sister today, look out!  It seriously is the end of the world.  “My temples!  My temples are caving in!  I can not see!  Things are going black!  Spank her!  Are you going to do ANYTHING?  Why are you not getting me ICE?  Why are you just standing there?”

I usually just stand back and say comforting Mom-ish things like, “Take a breath”, “No, you are not going blind,” and “No, I will not spank or disown your sister.  It was an accident.”

I am utterly clueless as to how to handle her temper.  We have tried to encourage her to punch a pillow.  Not very practical when you’re out bike riding and she is enraged at everyone else leaving her behind.  Enraged to the point of perfuse tears and a very, very red face.  No pillows on the road.

I love her dearly.  Her passion is what makes her who she is.  Trying to mold and shape this temper into something that looks Godly is one of the hardest jobs God has given me.  When I ask Rob about where this temper could have possibly come from, he often reminds me that she is exactly him personified as a girl instead of a boy at 8 years old.  When I ask him how his Mom dealt with it, he says he remembers getting spanked A LOT.

Anyone have any ideas besides punching a pillow or spanking?  Neither has worked very well on my Passionate Princess.

5 thoughts on “Passionate Princess.

• July 1, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Im not sure either! But if you have any ideas for a strong willed boy let me know! HAHAH

• July 2, 2008 at 7:00 am

I am Renee. I have finally come from under the blogshpere to say “I am a blog lurker.” I love reading your blog. I never know if I will laugh, cry or go hmmm. As a stay at home mom (or maybe I should use Peggy Campolo’s description, I read Rob’s blog too)of 2 boys and a girl, I can relate to so many of your posts. I loved your twitter comment on getting caught vaccuming when Rob comes home, I am not alone, my secret must of gotten out 🙂 I laughed for awhile. Thank you for sharing your life.

• July 2, 2008 at 1:57 pm

I recommend aikido. It has worked wonders for our son who also has a temper. Parts of aikido actually teach relaxation techniques to help calm down the emotions and get to the problem. I have seen Bryan use these techniques in so many situations… from being afraid before a procedure in the hospital to an argument with a friend. check it out… it may be helpful for your daughter as well. Plus, it’s great self defense knowledge which never hurt anyone! I know one thing… one day, the passion in our children will mean passionate adults living out an authentic life. For that we can be thankful!!

• July 2, 2008 at 1:57 pm