The Pillars of the Earth

I'm a little slow to the game.  I know this book came out a while ago, but I am just reading it now.  It's a book about the building of a cathedral in the middle ages.  Sounds simple, but the story is intriguing.  It's not too often that you are absolutely convinced by an author that the characters are real and you are a part of the story.    The story line is fascinating.  It's the kind of book that gives you a stomach ache when you start to see the demise of one of the characters.  Like in the movie The Never Ending Story I recently watched with the girls, I have found myself talking out loud to the characters in the book.  It is over 1000 pages long, so I have been busy.  It's funny how when you find an amazing book like this everything else goes on hold for a while.  At least that is how it is for me.  What's the best book you've read lately?

3 thoughts on “The Pillars of the Earth

• August 24, 2008 at 10:36 am

I read this book when it first came out. It is an awesome story that really speaks to determination, attention to detail, and overcoming obstacles. Have fun reading!

• August 24, 2008 at 7:58 pm

I felt the same about this book. Although I tried reading the sequel, World Without End, and I just could not do it. It is a few hundred years ‘after’ Pillars, and was just feeling like a repeat. Maybe in a few years I might attempt it again.
    I just read The Host by Stephenie Meyer and really enjoyed it! I liked the storyline.
    I, too, have loved Corrie Ten Boom for years!
    Rho

• August 27, 2008 at 6:18 pm

I must have this book over ten years ago and it was simply amazing. I’ve since bought it again to reread at some point.
    The best thing I’ve read lately was Winkie, a book about a teddy bear that gets arrested for terrorism. It’s great satire.
    I read a lot, so if you’re interested, you can see what I’m reading here: