Stuck in the Middle

Oliver Inn 031

I know what it’s like to be the middle child.  I have been one all my life.  I so related to the Brady Bunch episode when Jan got a special necklace from Alice because she knew what it was like to be the middle child.  I felt Jan’s pain.  Not only was I the middle child, but the only girl.  I have two older brothers and one younger.  Thank goodness they all have wives now and I am not so alone in my femininity.

Whitney is my middle child.  I don’t know what’s harder, having all brothers and being in the middle, or all sisters and being in the middle.  I know it’s probably too close to call.

Whitney has been asking me to do a blog post about her, and I have a feeling it has a bit to do w/her sister getting A LOT of attention this week from the neck brace she has to wear everywhere she goes.  So, Here’s 10 of 10,000,000 reasons I think Whitney is amazing.

Whitney…

1. Loves Jesus with everything in her.
  2. Is a fiercely loyal friend.
  3. Is all about justice.
  4. Still loves to cuddle and hug her Mom and Dad.
  5. Frequently tries to sneak wildlife into the house to “rescue” them.  (Strangely, I found a grasshopper leg the size of my hand on the kitchen counter the other day.)
  6. Is amazingly creative.
  7. Has extraordinary capabilities to love the unlovable.
  8. Has more courage than most adults I know.
  9. Gives an amazing back rub.  (We affectionately call her “Magic Fingers.”)
  10. Can ALWAYS make me smile.

CampAdventureThursday024Whitney's Zoo and Scrapbooking 001Oliver Inn 047Father's Day Weekend 035

8 thoughts on “Stuck in the Middle

• September 15, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I remember one “date” I had with the girls where I think we went to Media Play (either that or Chuck-E-Cheese) and they were playing in the cage-of-balls. 🙂 This one had a climbing thing that many kids had a hard time playing on – it was really difficult to get to the top. Whitney had NO problem climbing up, quickly and efficiently. And the great thing is, she did not gloat in her accomplishment, or mock the other children still trying…nope – she held out her hand and offered to help, each and every child that was also trying to get to the top. She wanted to SHARE in her glory…not bask in it alone. She’s a special girl and I loved this post about her. 🙂

• September 15, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Great post! As the middle child of three girls, I can “feel her pain”! 🙂 She sounds like a wonderful little girl!

• September 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm

She and I can start a club. I was the middle child of five. I hated it!

• September 15, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I’m a huge Whitney fan!!!

• September 15, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Whitney’s beauty shines from the inside out. She’s not afraid to take that next step/leap of faith on the road she is traveling. I remember the last time I was at camp her coming over to our home in the woods after listening from afar. She is always curious, but polite. There are so many things to say about her. Kudos, mom, for writing about some of them on here.

• September 16, 2008 at 9:53 am

My oldest daughter is the middle child and most of the time gets overshadowed by the very outgoing younger daughter. I became the middle child when my mom got married and my sister was born (I also have an older step sister). My aunt and uncle helped to raise me and even with them I am the middle child (so I understand perfectly).

• September 18, 2008 at 9:38 am

She is also amazingly beautiful- what a cutie! My sister struggled with the middle child syndrome too and it was hard for her. Being the firstborn isn’t always the best either- we have to pave the way for all the other children 🙂
    What a gift Whitney is!