It is inevitable.  They will come.  Unexpected. Unannounced.  You are woefully unprepared.  You have one hour. Maybe two if you are lucky.  The in-laws are coming, and you need to spiff up your house quick as lightning.  Here are some helpful tips:

• Closets are your friend. Stuff things in closets you know they won’t look in.
  • Kids are helpful. Use them. Bribe them with cash and candy.
  • Ask your friends to pray for you to keep your sense of humor
  • Swiffer Wet Jet is your friend.
  • Cram the dish washer as full as it will go
  • Hide your dirty laundry in both the washer and the dryer…yes, I have done this.
  • Order take out and put it in the dishes your Mother-in-law bought you for your wedding.
  • Pour bleach down your kitchen sink drain. Makes it smell like you’ve been cleaning everything.
  • Make sure your kitchen towel drawer is perfectly in order. Your Mother-In-Law will check.
  • Breathe. The worst thing that could happen is that they will have a worse opinion of you. You know you. You know you rock the world with your love, not your cleaning.
  • Give yourself a pat on the back.
  • Make the coffee.

…published this for Blissfully Domestic today.  🙂  Thanks, Caryn, for the Divine Inspiration.

6 thoughts on “How to Make it Look Like Your House is Always Clean When Your In-Laws Drop By For an Unexpected Visit.

• September 16, 2008 at 11:33 pm

I knew there was a reason I liked you (lol). I have done a few of those things myself. Never thought about stuffing the washer and the dryer (lol). Honestly though I was very blessed….my mother in law and I got along better then she did with her own kids sometime. I miss her still today, the lady could shop like nobodys business and would probably have appreciated this list herself (lol).

• September 17, 2008 at 8:05 am

My mom once put her dirty dishes (the ones that wouldn’t fit in the dishwasher) in the stove.
    Then I came home from work & preheated the oven to cook something. I smelled burnt plastic & opened it up to find melted rubbermaid containers.
    It took hours to scrape it all off & then weeks to burn off the plastic smell. hahahaha

• September 17, 2008 at 9:50 am

thanks for the credit – I mostly use these ideas when the house is on the market – no fun. My mom in law lives next door so I have given up on the whole clean house thing. I, too, have put things in the oven — and then preheated 🙁 — really and more than once!

• September 17, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Even though I don’t have a mother-in-law, I think the laundry thing is BRILLIANT! I never would have thought of that! I also threw stuff in “tax record”/paperwork boxes and stacked them nicely in the basement. No one knew it was full of random stuff I needed to hide 🙂

• September 18, 2008 at 4:17 pm

fyi, if you are on a septic tank, don’t dump bleach down the drain. too much may kill the bacteria in the tank that “eats” all the stuff in there and keeps the tank going.

• September 18, 2008 at 9:03 pm

I prefer to take advantage of hampers. You can cram a lot into those babies! I also saw a “hint” once: if your hand towels are clean, the rest of the bathroom will appear clean. Just a few of my faves! 🙂