What’s Worth Fighting For?

About a week ago, I had the opportunity to be interviewed by Parenting Magazine.  They put a random call out for parents who choose their battles with their kids.  I responded immediately because I live almost every waking second of my parenting life choosing my battles with my children. My girls are amazing kids, but very strong-willed and strong-spirited, and strong in every opinion that comes across their amazing little minds.

Before the interview I made a random list of things I do choose to fight and what's just not worth the energy.

Things Worth Fighting Not Worth it
Good Character Clothes
Tween Television Weird Cartoons
Laziness Hairstyle
Cruelty Room Decor
Unkind Words Good Arguments

Believe it or not, the two things we spent the most time talking about were the clothes/hair issue and the TV watching issue.  The lady doing the interview asked a good question about the clothes/hair thing: Don't you think that is something worth fighting for, since your girls represent who you are?  I told her that on a daily basis I let them choose their own clothes and do their own hair (as long as they look neat and somewhat put together).  However, for special occasions, they know I get to pick everything.  Here is an example of how they would look on their own:

photo (1) photo

And When Mommy Gets to Pick:

Wegners with MayorRea 1 11909

FYI Belle is wearing gym shoes because she has to wear braces on her feet.  I know you were wondering about that.

Some things are worth fighting.  Some aren't. What is worth it to you?  What's not?

4 thoughts on “What’s Worth Fighting For?

• February 23, 2009 at 7:48 am

I so agree with what you’re saying! Though I set outside boundaries, when it comes to clothes, hair, etc–not a big deal. Having to finish a meal…not even on the radar. Honesty, generosity, character, respect–now those get my attention!!

• February 25, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I love your list and actually, it never occurred to me to WRITE a list like this. I am inspired! I believe I am following along the same lines as you as to what is worth a battle, but I’m getting that inkling that I should write the list and compare real life! Thank you for the idea! I am new to your blog and I really enjoy your perspectives!

• February 25, 2009 at 3:25 pm

You are so right on with this! Character issues are what matter to me. And fighting with siblings . . . I just cannot tolerate that (probably because I fought so much with my own siblings and really hated it). I am always working on getting my girls to love one another–that’s what’s important.
    On the clothes thing . . . most days I don’t even notice what my kids wear to school (although when they are teenagers, you do need to start paying attention). One morning my husband was home when our youngest left for school (he’s usually long gone by then), and he noticed that she was wearing sweat pants and a sweatshirt. He said, “Is that what you’re wearing to school??” She looked at me like, “Help me out here, Mom!” I had to step in and explain that it really didn’t matter–all the kids go to school like that. I’m not sure he bought it or not, but she got to wear the sweat pants anyway.