Twittering the Event

CenterFor_The_Homeless_Michelle_Wegner_042509_1[1]

Pastor Mark took this photo of me and Rob at the Center For the Homeless Dancing with the Stars Auction the other night.

We had an interesting conversation about Twittering in church, Twittering in general, and what that means.  Mark asked a great question: Is it about community or connecting?

I haven't made up my mind yet.  What I do know is that I have made some good friends through Twitter and Facebook that I otherwise would not know.  Being in a large church, there are many people who I did not know, and vice-versa, they did not know me.  Now when I see them in the halls at church I can smile, say Hi, and start up a general conversation with them.

There are also people on Twitter and Facebook that turn me into a raving lunatic because they say and do really dumb things for attention.

What do you think  it's all about?  How does it help you?  Does it turn you into a raving lunatic?

Just curious.

8 thoughts on “Twittering the Event

• April 26, 2009 at 10:55 am

I feel that Facebook because I don’t have a cell phone to twitter from but anyways is for me connecting with other people. I have reconnected with old friends and have made new friends on Facebook. Being a stay at home mom in rural Indiana it helps me stay saine and to know that other people have gone through or are going through what I am. I also have nurse friends so I can get medical advice for my kids via Facebook.

• April 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Facebook is good. I’m a fan. Many times during the day I wouldn’t be able to cut out twenty minutes to have casual conversation with my friends becuase of the baby/house/life…but you betcha I can find 10 mins to check my facebook during nap time and post a message on their page saying the gist of what a phone call would have been. Very convient for me. Def stay connected more easily. Especially my friends from the Honor Academy who are scattered all over the US.
    Twitter. I don’t understand it. I don’t really care to.
    AND yes…the the raving lunatic part too. Their are many people i’ve de-friended just because they make my vomit in my mouth.
    it would say its both community and connecting.

• April 26, 2009 at 11:26 pm

I like facebook, but I’m more addicted to twitter. I love that in an instant I can connect with friends like you. I’m not a big phone person. With twitter I have conversation with people I never thought I would ever know. So for me its both community and a connection.

• April 26, 2009 at 11:31 pm

And because my twitter is private I have been able to be selective about who I converse with. There have only been a few people I have dropped. Not because they irked me, but because I started to feel that they only followed me because they wanted to make fun of my lifestyle (you know the “traditional” pastor’s wife). I’m not hip enough for some, and I’m fine with that, but don’t “befriend” me and then act as if I’m not good enough for you to have conversation with. Ok, after much thought I guess the answer is yes. Sometimes it does turn me into a raving lunatic! LOL

• April 27, 2009 at 7:57 am

I’m not sure about Twitter yet, but I guess I’ll catch up with it soon. But i do want to say that your outfit looks awesome. Love your accessories!!!!

• April 27, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I love Twitter more than Facebook. I just wish more of my friends did it.
    For me it is really a whole lot of connecting with a little bit of community sprinkled in.
    And @disneycyndi … that is flat out ridiculous! Glad you dropped those people! 🙂

• April 28, 2009 at 3:24 pm

i’ll tell you i’m a little add…and i’m more interested in your jewelry in this pic vs. the connection or community question… i keep trying to read the post and get side tracked by the pic. lol
    i will tell you i always chuckle at your tweets though…