Proud

I am not joking you when I say that when we walked through the customs door this week at O’Hare airport, I looked at one of the TV screens in a bar on the way to the restroom and there was Lee Greenwood singing “Proud To Be An American.”  It’s funny how at that moment before I even heard the song I literally felt like falling to my knees and kissing the dirty, sticky ground.  Glad I chose not to, but still…I got a little teary.

Every time I leave the country and come back, I am struck with a huge sense of patriotism.  We live in the best country in the world.  I can come and go as I please.  I can drive.  I can send my kids to any school I want to send them to.  I can go to the grocery store and pick out healthy food for my family.  I can drink water out of my kitchen faucet.  I have ice in my refrigerator, and I can call an exterminator if mice are in my garage.  I can vote.

I think traveling through India with my family has only increased my sense of love for my country.  Living in India for a week or two on my own or with my husband is hard, but living in India with my 3 kids was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  Would I do it again?  In a second (as long as I remembered to bring twice as many snacks for them as I did).

Do I love India?  More than ever.  Travelling through India with my children awakened a whole new side of the Tamil people that I never could have seen unless I had my children with me.  They are a loving, passionate, nurturing people.  From the oldest Grandma to the youngest child, their love for my children astounded me.  Even our driver who had his Hindu idols on the dashboard and didn’t crack a smile the entire week he drove us around was gravely concerned when Isabelle was so sick.  The only words he spoke to me that whole week were , “Is she ok?”

The whole trip in my mind was like an epic tale.  So many twists, turns, and plots.  We were the characters being moved around by the hand of God, upheld by the people of God.

I’m proud to be an American, but prouder still that I am an American who loves and is truly loved by the Tamil people.

India-Rob 122

4 thoughts on “Proud

• July 1, 2009 at 10:42 am

I have been trying to figure out exactly how I have been impacted by being able to read on such a regular basis about your trip and the only thing I can come up with is “blown away.” That is not a very technical term, I know, but the closeness that I’ve felt to you guys as you were on your trip was amazing. I laughed and I came real close to crying on several occasions and I almost could imagine that I was there too. Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. I was honored to be able to pray for your family these last few weeks. My prayer is to be able to visit India someday too. Thank you to your whole family.
    Jonathan

• July 1, 2009 at 11:12 am

Have you ever wanted to comment on a blog post, but thought that your comment may be longer than the post?
    1. Proud and hubled that your my friend
    2. I SO know that feeling when you get back to the U.S. from being to another country. It’s almost like you need to go to the restroom and just cry it out – then you’re OK. It’s overwhelming. And, I know what you mean about loving the place and people in another country…
    3. Finally – there is nothing like watching God’s hand move – in your life, in the lives of those who you are in contact with…seemingly right in front of your face. When I’ve been out of the country, I started to think that things would happen to me so that I would have something to blog about; then I realized that many things were showing me that I need to (and can) completely TRUST God for EVERYTHING.

• July 1, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Thank you all the hard work there..and for keeping us updated. It was really empowering and intriguing to read your posts along the way. I felt like I wanted to do something for them! I gladly prayed for you and your whole family and continue to do so. Perhaps I’ll make that much needed trip to India someday..to see family and my husbands friends. Till then, thank you for sharing your story!
    Ina

• July 1, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Michelle,
    Loved following your family on twitter and through your blogs. My heart smiled with each update. As an MK from that part of the world my prayer was your kids would be touched. I had the privilege of taking my wife (second trip) and three kids to Bangladesh this past Christmas. They are still impacted and talk about things they saw and did. Their hearts will never be the same. I prayed for safety and an incredible love for those people. I wish I was close by to ask questions and hear the stories first hand.
    I don’t know you guys except through this, but am so proud of the risk you all took. And yes, you are right. I to this day cannot hear the national anthem without tearing up. Heck, I am 42 years old. People who NEVER go outside of the USA have NO idea what we have here. Thanks for sharing and keeping me up. REally loved the pictures and stories. Blessings to you all.