Wild and Precious

Family by tree

The Summer Day

Mary Oliver

Who made the world?

Who made the swan, and the black bear?

Who made the grasshopper?

This grasshopper, I mean-

the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,

who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-

who is gazing around her with enormous and complicated eyes.

Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.

Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.

I don’t know exactly what a prayer is.

I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down

into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,

how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,

which is what I have been doing all day.

Tell me, what else should I have done?  Doesn’t everything die at last, and too soon?

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

I saw this poem and immediately thought of my girls. Wild and Precious. The question she asks,  “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” got me thinking about my own life, the life I am living today, my ordinary life in the here and now.

Your life is wild and precious too.  It’s here, then it’s gone.  Don’t let your life slip by busying yourself with plans and projects that will raise you to the top.  Live the life in this day, today.  Just breathe, and just be.

photo by BrittianiRenee

7 thoughts on “Wild and Precious

• April 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I love Mary Oliver’s poetry. I stuck one on my blog somewhere, too. Might have to stick this one on my ‘fridge. I have three boys, and it reminds me of them, too. (Found you through twitter today and enjoy your site.) “Just breathe and just be . . .” Thanks, I needed to hear that today! Blessings & writing mercies to you.

• April 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Amy. I have not known of her poetry until recently, and I think I will be posting this one on my fridge as well. 🙂

• April 22, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Wild and precious makes me think of my three little boys. 🙂

I saw your tweets but since I’m not on twitter I just wanted to pop by and say Kudos to you for protecting your kids! It’s been my experience that even family members are not always safe. I’ve heard horrible stories about uncles, cousins and babysitters. It’s a little scary and I’m not looking forward to the day when my kiddos want to spend the night at essentially stranger’s homes. *cringe*
    Definitely a fine balance here.

Have fun with your sweet daughters!

• April 22, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Thank you Jessica, and even boys are wild and precious. You are right! 🙂

• April 22, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Michelle – beautiful! So glad you were inspired. Her words always move me, and so did yours. Thanks for BEING wild and precious. 🙂

• Pingback: uberVU - social comments

• April 23, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Michelle, this was absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing the words AND your heart…truly touching! xoxo, Melissa