When You Can’t Look Away

Sometimes you have to look away.  Sometimes it hurts too much to watch.  Shows like “Idol Gives Back”, or spontaneous infomercials showing kids with bloated bellies and flies buzzing around their heads are too much for me.  They are not empty souls with hallow eyes to me.  They are orphans who used to hope, used to know their Moms and Dads.  They are kids who color and sing. I’ve seen them, touched them and watch their hallow eyes fill with joy with a simple hug, toy or a treat.  I can show those kids love like I do with my own kids.

India-Rob 269

Sometimes it hurts too much to know that their hurts are real, their boo-boo’s can’t be fixed, their Mom isn’t coming any time soon to help them.  They live with lingering pain and fear, not like my kids.  My kids don’t go an hour with a headache.  They’ve not known real pain for more than a few hours at a time until we get them the help they need. They are bundled up with care, bandaged, and sent home to mend.  The kids on T.V. aren’t.  Their pain just lingers until they die from their sickness, disease, or wounds, or starve to death.  Those kids know real fear.  Their eyes have seen things my kids never will.

This summer we are going back to India to touch and love more kids.  We are going there to write down their stories along with the stories of men and women who are their mothers and fathers so that others will know.   Sometimes you have to look away.  Sometimes you cant, and you have to do something about it.  And that’s what we’re doing this summer.

Belle's Feet  at Tea

9 thoughts on “When You Can’t Look Away

• April 26, 2010 at 9:21 am

U guys are great.. You’re right. Sometimes we actually have to take action. We are proud of you guys and are glad we have started building relationship with a family that has similar passion as ours!! We’ll be praying for you b-4, during and after trip!

• April 26, 2010 at 9:59 am

That’s so great! I wish I could go along, minister and love on those children with you guys. Years ago my friend and I talked about moving to India to live with the people, learn from them and minister among them. Obviously that didn’t happen. My last Priest was from India and it renewed my passion again. I LOVE that your children are getting this amazing opportunity! I’ll keep you guys in my prayers.

• Pingback: Tweets that mention When You Can’t Look Away « Michelle Wegner -- Topsy.com

• April 26, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Beautifully written, Michelle. Your girls will never forget the experience and neither will you.

• April 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Michelle – Holding baby Rachele just a few weeks ago after having held her last June is a testament to experiencing first hand the kingdom of God at work. Last year she was so small and frail that I was afraid to hold her. This year she is a healthy girl that weighs on your arm. Last year her parents abandoned her because they looked into her face, saw a cleft palet and believed she had no value. Next week we will be sharing her story with a group of people and sending the funds to surgically correct her cleft palet. Repairing her upper lip will not make her any less loved by God it will simply allow others to better see her as a child of God valued beyond our understanding. Thanks for sharing!

• April 27, 2010 at 9:37 am

Thanks Dan. It’s amazing how holding a baby like her can change your life. She is a precious gift, isn’t she?