Here is our very unscientific procedure for making our annual deep-dish Chicago style pizza. Rob and I have made it every Christmas Eve since we’ve been married. The fun thing about it is that the recipe changes just a tad every year. This year we used Honey Wheat crust (Rob loved it, I thought it was so-so). We also used Walmart brand cheese (which I will never use again for this recipe-it didn’t melt evenly.)
I dare you to try this! It is our favorite thing to make. It is a lot of work, and takes about 2 hours to complete.
1.Make dough in bread machine (or however you make dough)
2. Butter iron skillet, place dough in. Spread it around until it is even.
3. Spread tomato sauce of choice
4. Brown pork or Italian sausage (we used pork this time)
5. Mix onions, peppers, and whatever veggies you like into the sausage while it is browning.
6. Spread veggies across the pizza according to family preference. ( our big kids like peppers and onions, little kids don’t)
7. Add Pepperoni or other toppings
8. Add 2 lbs of cheese (not Walmart brand) 🙂
9. Add basil, oregano, pepperoni, etc. to the top. (or nothing-totally a preference thing)
10. Heat oven to 350 and place pizza in for about 20-30 minutes.
Notice the final “after” picture is missing? The family gobbled up their pieces before I could snap a photo.
I really hope you try this some time! If you do, let us know how you did it, and how you liked it!