Where do you fit?

Late March 030

Don’t assume everyone around you is ok.  Friends, colleagues, students, and neighbors might look ok from the outside, but chances are very good they are struggling with something.  You probably are too…you’re just good at hiding it.

At our house, we’ve been struggling.  We have had one of the sickest seasons we’ve had so far. With Belle in Kindergarten all day, breathing in the germs of 25 other Kindergarten breathing, sneezing little people, she has brought home lots of germs. Maddie and her friends share clothes and make-up, along with their germs, and in Whitney’s class, all the kids share tables and germy supplies.

This morning my neighbor texted me when I told her not to send her middle-schooler into our house of germs to wait for the bus, she texted back “Can I bring dinner?”

Four simple words that made my day a whole lot easier, took the pressure off, gave me back two hours of dinner prep and clean up.

God made each of us fit into the tapestry of humanity in a unique way. Where do you fit? What do you have to offer?  Dinner? A kind word? A ride? These things seem so small, but when you are on the receiving end, you realize what a big deal these small things really are.

Don’t shrink back from kindness when you have it to offer. Be generous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ’s body, let’s just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren’t.

If you preach, just preach God’s Message, nothing else; if you help, just help, don’t take over; if you teach, stick to your teaching; if you give encouraging guidance, be careful that you don’t get bossy; if you’re put in charge, don’t manipulate; if you’re called to give aid to people in distress, keep your eyes open and be quick to respond; if you work with the disadvantaged, don’t let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them. Keep a smile on your face. Romans 12: 6-8

10 thoughts on “Where do you fit?

• March 30, 2011 at 9:52 am

So well put! And so true! Everyone is fighting a battle and it doesn’t take much to reach out…every kindness is appreciated so much! Praying the healing comes quickly to your house!

• March 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Amy!

• March 30, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thanks again for your encouraging words yesterday! This post was great! Everyone has something to give, you just have to look out for that opportunity to use it.

• March 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Stephanie!

• March 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

No wander Grandma loved you so much.

• March 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Aww, shucks Uncle Bud. You’re too sweet

• March 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm

That is something many learn late in life.
    Like me!
    Thanks for the message Michelle.

• March 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Dad 🙂

• March 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I have been concentrating lately on a quote from your Share the Well book p. 57, it says: “I began to understand that relationship & genuine community are the greatest conduits for life change”. It speaks to me as a teacher b/c I think this is a MAJOR key in reaching students. Lately the admin has been harping on teachers about having too many failing students & how we have to raise scores & have less failures. It has to start w/ relationship & community, not shoveling in more work, more tests, more writing prompts & more data. With that said I had a student in class last trimester & now again this trimester(diff class). I didn’t particularly click w/ the student at first. Now she sits closer to me & I have a chance to talk w/her & build a relationship. Recently found out she lives w/ her grandparents. Long story longer 🙂 She was complaining her Dad only sent her a b-day card, no gift, no phone call & then she says “He didn’t even sign it”. I started tearing up. I once had the same experience. I remember the 1st time I got a b-day card from my Dad, but it was signed by my step-mom, I was crushed by it. I was maybe 10 at the time. Same thing had happened to her & it hurt her. I shared my story w/her & now we have that small commonality to build a relationship on. Wow, sorry to ramble, but your post really spoke to me today.

• March 30, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Stacy, what a story! I am sure God put you in her life for a reason, and she will never forget it!