Introducing…

Us!  The Wegner’s.

Wegner JeepWe moved from Indiana to Kansas on May 2.  Every single day since then, I have had a lesson in the form of humility from one source or another.  Every place I go, I have to rely on Siri or my instincts to figure out where I am and where I am going, and how to get there.  The days I rely on my instincts, I get lost.

Other than daily getting lost or finding myself driving down the wrong way on a one way street, I’ve really enjoyed getting to know Kansas.  Our new church family, Westside Family Church, has welcomed us with grace and peace and so, so much kindness.

Every day is a new introduction.  A new something somewhere.  I am a deeply settled person.  I enjoy roots, predictability, and the peace that comes from knowing what happens next.  Learning the in’s and outs and shortcuts will take time, I’m sure.

As I am being humbled by learning all things new, I thought I’d take a minute to blog about what I DO know. These are the people I know best in the world–their in’s and out’s, their shortcuts, what makes them who they are.  I’d like to introduce my family.  Understand these are bird’s-eye-view introductions. Each one of us is incredibly complex.  Our girls are very spirited–The dynamics of raising three girls in one family are intense, insanely fun, and keep Rob and I on an incredibly high learning curve .

Rob and got married 21 years ago when he was 21 and I was 19.  We were close friends from the time I was 12 and he was 14.  I still remember clear as day the first time I saw him.  He radiated joy and warmth and he was the funniest person I knew (besides myself, of course)

Rob at Jenny LakeRob is a phenomenally gifted communicator and teacher of Jesus and His ways.  He is a wonderful husband and amazing father to our three girls.  He is patient and kind with them, leading them by his example and courage to follow Jesus wherever He leads.  Rob is a guitarist and musician. Music oozes out of him wherever he goes.  It’s in his soul and spirit.  He’s a dreamer of really big dreams, and a huge believer in helping others implement their own.  I’m proud to be his wife.

Maddie-CameraMadeline (Nick names:Maddie, Madalina, Madeliney, Mads, Matt, Mattie Mick…etc)

Maddie is 15. She is an old soul in a young body. She’s an introvert, a Noticer, and deeply compassionate.  Maddie is wise beyond her years and can spot a faker in a second (someone who says they are one thing but really are not who they say they are).  She’s deeply intuitive and an amazing photographer.  She’s hilarious and fun, practical and precise.  She is a wonderful role model to her younger sisters.  I am so proud to be her mom.

Whitney-Headband

Whitney (Nick names Whit, Whitster, Whitaker, Wick)

Whitney is 14.  She is the tallest of our girls, and is made of solid muscle.  She’s a strawberry blonde beauty.  She’s intense, incredibly fun, an extremely strong leader, bold, loud, confident, and courageous.  Whit is the kind of kid who is a friend to literally everyone she knows and an underdog for the outcast kind of kids.  She has a gift for making those around her feel loved, included and important.  Whitney makes me laugh every day.  I’m so proud to be her Mamma.

BelleIsabelle  Joy(Belle, Isabob, Corndog, LIttle Mac, Is., Peanut)

Belle is 10.  She exudes joy and life like no one I’ve ever known.  From the minute she wakes up until her head hits the pillow at night, she oozes life and radiates joy.  She is so much fun, non-stop.  She is a Rainbow Loom genius, making bracelets and crafts several hours a day.  She is deeply sensitive, is easily hurt, but comes alongside those who hurt because she knows how it feels.  Belle is a best friend and buddy to whomever she is with.  She is the definition of joy.  Her smile and laugh light up a room like magic.  I’m so proud to be Belle’s Mamma.

Michelle-HeadbandMe – I’m 41.  I’ve written for several magazine publications over the past 10 or so years about family life and spiritual matters.  I am a mega introvert.  I need lots and lots of time alone, and people often misunderstand this part of me as snobbishness or aloofness.  I promise I am neither of those.  I love people.  I love Jesus.

I love my family with all of my heart.  I love anything artsy or creative or fun.  Driving my Jeep with the top down, taking photos along the way with the sun on my face (or even in the pouring rain) fills me up.  I’m often in nature alone, photographing stuff that point me to my Creator.  I see Him through my camera lens, and hear His voice in the wind.

That’s enough introducing for now. Your eyeballs are probably tired from this very, very long post.  Go take a nap and give your eyes a break.  It’s been so lovely getting to know you all.  Thanks for being gracious and kind as we humbly get to know you back.

~Grace and Peace.

8 thoughts on “Introducing…

• June 30, 2014 at 10:07 pm

She speaks the truth and they were the best neighbors. EVER !

We love and miss them.

The family across the street in Indiana

• June 30, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Such an earth mother and cool chick. I feel super lucky to know you. ❤️

• June 30, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Love it!! Introvert – noted. One of my BFFs is a mega introvert as well. I, on the other hand, am a mega extrovert. She had to sit me down a couple years ago and and spell out the difference for me. I get it now! And love it about her now that I understand her. Smart. So there’s that about me. 😉

I have 4 kids. Three boys, and 1 girl. The boys are 15, 12, & 5 and our baby girl is 2. I love running, especially with my new “Michelle-o-Vision”. (It’s totally a thing now!) And… I love QT. (QuikTrip) Weird, I know, but I just love it there. Mostly because of the super friendly people that work there. (Is my extrovert-ism showing?)

Such a great post, Michelle! Thanks for sharing!!

• July 1, 2014 at 8:53 am

When I read your description about yourself as an introvert, I see myself. I find it difficult to express myself, but I enjoy reading the writings of those who can. I love your nature photos as that is also where I marvel in God’s great creative beauty. My husband and I have traveled many places for short term missions, and enjoyed seeing many beautiful landscapes. When friends ask us which place have we enjoyed most, our response is : ” it’s the people and the ministry they are a part of that really makes the place memorable.” We are so thankful that God has prompted your family to be a part of Westside, so that You all can be part of the ministry team here.

• July 1, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Welcome to Kansas Michelle! I enjoyed reading your blog. I’ve been Facebook friends with Rob ever since it was first announced that Rob would be joining the Pastoral staff at Westside, and I’ve got to speak with him several times after some of the church services. I look forward to meeting you soon too!! I am definitely an extrovert. I’ve been a Westsider for about 7 years now. I’ve served as a small group leader to 3 different small groups over the years. Without a doubt, the most life-changing experiences I’ve had have involved serving on 5 different mission trips to South Africa with Pastor Schaun over the past 3 years. God placed it on my heart to go and He has led me back again and again. Those kids just stole my heart. I welcome you and your family into our family at Westside!!

• July 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Thank you for introducing your family. I know how hard it is to leave a place and the people you love so much. We are honored that your family has chosen Westside and Kansas to be your home. Your husband is definitely a gifted communicator and you a gifted photographer.

I am married to an introvert so I understand. I love people and being around them. I do receive energy from them but need my alone time as well. I am a Biblical counselor on the counseling team at WFC. I also serve as a “Prayer Ninja” for the online campus. (Gotta love Pastor Jason and his creativity.) I love public speaking and hope to give writing a try. My passion is helping women know their true identity in Christ, discover their own passion, and help them allow God to heal and use them as only he can.

I have been married 35 years. We have 2 daughters (34 &24) and 5 grandchildren (by one daughter). As much as I loved being a parent being a grandma is much better.

I love the nose piercing and have looked forward to meeting since I read that you got it! Quirky and delightful people are the best.

• July 12, 2014 at 10:48 am

Hello Michelle and family! I’m so happy for all of you – what a beautiful family in a new advent of discovery! We will be praying for you along your journey. I remember moving to SLC as an introvert, trying to find my way around. There were many tears but God brought me to a new sense of self and my soul has grown toward Him through deeper relationships, experiences and time in solitude. Peace of Christ be with you, Michelle

• July 16, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Hi, just found your blog and wanted to say welcome to Kansas. I’ve lived here almost 20 years, happy to answer any questions from a transplant (vs native) perspective. Have fun and enjoy getting to know (and getting lost in) the Great Plains!