I stole this little survey off of Shelly’s blog the other day. I’d love to hear your answers to some of these questions too!
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Took my entire family on a trip around the world.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never make them on purpose. I try to live my life day by day, with a list of running goals in my head that are achievable on a daily basis. Otherwise, I get overwhelmed.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister-in-law Abbey had baby Jared, Other sister-in-law Lynn had Joshua, and my other sister-in-law Lisa is due at the end of January. My parents are in Grandparent hog Heaven. I think there are like 13 Grandkids now? I’ve lost count.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.
5. What countries did you visit?
England and India…oh, and Elkhart, which is 5 minutes from my front porch, but sort of like going to a foreign country.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
More writing time. More time in the Bible. More time praying. More time in general.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Visiting our Compassion International daughter Sangeetha and her family in June. Walking up to a home in Kalavai only to see my name on the dedication plaque.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Rob and I taking our kids on a trip around the world without losing our sanity.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing patience too many times.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Rheumatoid arthritis. No fun.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Maddie-unbelievable scholar. Brilliant girl. Creative and loving
Whitney-Full of compassion. Her heart for Jesus and love for others is contagious.
Isabelle-Her sense of humor mixed with her devotion to others, her determination to never give up always inspires me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Feeding, clothing, and educating 3 little girls.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Showing Maddie Queen Victoria’s tomb in Westminster Abbey.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Miley Cyrus and “The Climb”. It popped up in the weirdest places in India several times, encouraging the girls to keep going no matter how hard it seemed. It was amazing for me to see God reaching out to them through something familiar in such an unfamiliar place.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
a)happier b)thinner c) richer in all the things that matter. Money-wise, not so much.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Read and write.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worry about what people think of me.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We opened our gifts to each other here on the 23rd, then did A Christmas Carol at church on the 24th, headed to Chicago to celebrate with family the 25th-27th. Needless to say, it was crazy-busy, but lots of fun.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Again and again.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, I am actually finding a fondness in my heart for people that don’t like me. Never thought that would happen.
24. What was the best book you read?
Daisy Chain by Mary DeMuth, and the 2nd in the trilogy, A Slow Burn
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Isabelle singing “The Climb”
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
Ugg boots. Got a lot of other stuff, I’m not complaining.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Where the Wild Things Are
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36 on May 10, which was also Mother’s day. We went to the zoo, and Rob got peed on by a lion.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Awesome.
32. What kept you sane?
Knowing God Loves me no matter how grouchy I get.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Sarah Palin, flaws and all. Her flaws are what are most endearing, I think.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Paul and Susie Wirth. Love them.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Learning how to lay down my fear and worry at the feet of Jesus, and not try to fix it all.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes you going to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what?s waiting on the other side
It's the climb
insert mocking and laughter here for the Miley Cyrus references. I can handle it. 🙂