In the past few years that I have had children, I have had some very interesting conversations with other Moms about why I stay home with my kids. Here are some observations they have made about my life:
- Staying home is a luxury.
- Some people have to work all day.
- You can watch my kids for free for weeks on end because you are at home with yours anyway.
- If you stay home all day, why don’t you home-school your kids?
- You can watch my sick kid while I go to work, can’t you?
- You must have oodles of time to yourself.
I wouldn’t agree that any of these are good ideas (or right), but here are some reasons why I chose, and continue to choose, to stay at home with my kids.
- When they are sick, I get to take care of them.
- I get to be the first one to look them in the eyes as they get off the bus and ask them about their day.
- I get to learn about interesting things like Hagfish when I get to do homework with them.
- I am re-learning long division.
- I have endless company.
- I get to pick what they watch on TV
- I get to be a mentor and role model for my kids friends who don’t have such good relationships with their parents.
I’ve found that staying home with my kids is a pretty sweet gig. I’m really glad I get to.